Sunday, September 14, 2008

Palette Plates from Skip-Hop

A feeding set for both babies and toddlers, the Palette Plate is perfect for the preparation, serving, and storing of finger foods. Included are three drop-in bowls that are microwave save and fit right into the Palette Plate for easy serving. Translucent covers make refrigerator storage of leftovers a snap and the skid-resistant base keeps it in place during meal time. Matching utensils are also included. The Palette plate is BPA-free, phthalate-free, and pvc-free.
As long as we're talking about dinner time, does anyone have any suggestions to help me with my EXTREMELY picky eater? She went from a baby would eat just about anything to a 2 1/2 year old who doesn't eat meat, most vegetables, and anything else that looks suspicious. I used to be able to hide veggies and meat in her food by grinding them up before hand, but she's on to me now. Usually the meals I present get a quick once over before she decides, "I don't like that." She does enjoy fruit and eats quite a bit of it, but seriously, can this child survive on fruit and mac 'n cheese alone?




I miss the kid who would eat anything for dinner even if we did have to practically hose her down when she was done. Yesterday for lunch she ate a banana.....dipped in ketchup. Seriously.

If you have any suggestions on helping me with my picky eater I would love to hear them!

Holly

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Holly-

The key at 2 1/2 is exactly what you said she ate yesterday (dipping). They love to dip anything at that age (atleast mine did). Have her dip in yogurt, dip cereal in milk, bread in peanut butter and jelly, etc. The messier the better :). Also something that works well is having them help you cook dinner because they are so proud of themselves and want to eat what they have made. Good luck, she is so cute!!

TBRKO said...

I hear you Holly. Just last night, my Olivia only ate her *dip* (ketchup) and nothing else. What did it result in? No food until she ate those two measly veggies. My mother thinks I am too tough, but two of my three kids will take a mile if I give an inch, SO I am not going to let her be such a little diva.
The funny thing at our house, is it only happens at supper, so I think it's a habit...

ABCDH said...

Okay, are these kids getting together and making pacts about dinner time? My girls are a pain during dinner, but never lunch or breakfast either!
At any rate.....
I do it this way. Out of the 5 food groups (protein, grain, fruit, veggie and milk) I ALWAYS offer atleast one (if not two or sometimes all) things I know for sure they will eat. That's it.
They get what they get and if they decide they "don't like" what's for dinner tonight then at least I know they have eaten a little of something. No clean plate club, but if you don't eat and get hungry later - too bad.
It's been said that you have to offer a child a food up to 15 times for them to really decide if they like it or not. What they eat today could be out tomorrow.

Unknown said...

I agree with abcdh, but I also want to add that kids can survive on mac n cheese and fruit for quite a while... My pediatritian said it's not a big deal weather they eat fruits and veggies, as long as they eat one or the other and in a variety of colors. And then there's always "good" mac n cheese - throw in some tuna or diced lunch meat or bacon, and maybe some red bell pepper for color. Or skip it - most americans eat way too much protein anyway, it won't hurt your LO to have protein from dairy or beans and nothing else.

Erin said...

Holly, I don't have any advice beyond what's already been offered (you moms are all so wise), but I wanted to tell you that you made me laugh out loud TWICE in 5 minutes. First, when I read your comment on AJ's blog, and then when read that your daughter ate a "banana...dipped in ketchup. Seriously."

Getting back to me said...

I just had to come back to this to tell everyone thanks for the advice - I'm planning on trying all your suggestions!

Erin- I'm glad I made you laugh!

Holly